Thursday, November 09, 2006


Album Review

Suburban Kids With Biblical Names
#3
B-

I heard Dodge from MOKB mention these guys in an interview on ChrisWalkerVersus, and checked them out. Dodge gives me the majority of my leads on good tunes, aside from Pitchfork. Chris from Gorillavsbear is another reliable source. Anyway, thought I would share and give a link-out to some of my favorite music blogs.

Onto the ridiculously/brilliantly named Suburban Kids with Biblical Names. Two musicians from Stockholm,
Peter Gunnarson & Johan Hedberg, team up with a computer and guitar to create accessible, shimmering, lo-fi pop. Stuttering drum loops in the vein of The Postal Service are juxtaposed with conversational lyrics and down-tempo, plucky guitar licks. SKWBN may come across a little hokey at times and the singer sometimes sounds laughably similar to Kermit the Frog, especially on the track "Trees and Squirrels."Maybe it's supposed to be ironic or maybe I'm just a dick, I'm guessing the former.
These guys refuse to take themselves too seriously, as evidenced by the straightforward dubbing of their first three albums #1,#2, and #3, respectively. The songs contain the same loose and casual feel with a track that is an unabashed love ode to a computer, and another that laments a shared size of french fries with another. The lyrics are almost anti-poetic, and adopt Charles Bukowski's "no time for metaphors" attitude. The simplicity often makes the words more profound, and universally familiar dialogues like, "So cut the crap/ Stop that shit/Don't be dumb/I will love you forever" cut out the pretense and retain the impact. I really love that line which is enhanced by his endearing hopscotch delivery. The tinny, lo-fi production compliments the tone of the album snugly and induces images of these two sitting around a computer and playing these songs in their bedrooms. Why do I always think about high school when I listen to this album?
Anyway, this is a great CD, came out in 2005. I'm still absorbing it, so don't be surprised if I have to change another grade. This is feel good and sunny pop for Suburbanites.

Myspace is here, website is here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home