Monday, October 23, 2006


Koufax and My Lack of Integrity

The first band that made me decide I was more or less "over" Hip-Hop monopolizing my musical selection was Koufax. Back in 2002, I saw their fantastic CD, Social Life, sitting on a shelf at the local independent music store. Although I had no idea what they sounded like, I was inexplicably drawn to it, desperate for something new and purchased the CD. This then-refreshing take on Rock offered a fantastic reprieve from my beat and rhyme weary ears; and thus began my progression from interested to obsessed music aficionado. Although Social Life rarely left my CD player (remember those? ahhh, the memories) over the next couple months, I had completely forgotten about this hipster-before-hipsters band until a couple weeks ago when I heard, "Let us Know" quietly playing at a cafe in San Francisco. Then again I recognized them providing tunes on a trailer for the upcoming Sofia Coppola film, "Marie Antoinette." After scanning my rack of CD's, I was disgruntled to find Social Life AWOL and begrudgingly downloaded it from emusic. Although it sounds a bit dated and stereotypical in today's saturated market of synthesized key-laden 80's rock with a fuzzy guitar twist; the majority of its original appeal, freshness and catchiness remain intact. I give my seal of approval to Social Life, and, to a lesser extent, the 2000 release, It Had to Do With Love. At the time of release, The Strokes or The Hives may have overshadowed Koufax, but these guys hold it down and deserve a belated download or two.

Wow, I just discovered they have a 2005 release, Hard Times Are in Fashion. I have yet to hear it, but promise to remedy that soon. I know, I'm a terrible excuse for a blogger, but I don't think the five people who read this thing will look too harshly on the amateur nature of things here at Woke up Thirsty.

Unrelated Disclaimer:

After further listening and witnessing an astounding show in San Francisco (I have pictures, review, and terribly-low quality video coming soon), I'm changing The Dust of Retreat's grade to an A-: an unforgivable and taboo action in blogger land. But, I don't care I do what I want. The album gets better and better with each listen, and currently occupies the wrinkle in my brain dedicated to playing the same songs over and over again, but in a good way. See “My Humps,” (my stomach just turned sour) for an example of a bad way.

Koufax myspace is here, official band site here.



4 Comments:

Blogger freddybizniss said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:12 PM  
Blogger freddybizniss said...

unrelated to the music here, I enjoyed this blog as it seemed to break the form your last few entries took. Oh, and the last bit that references that damn veggie band and their h-bomb slut is hilarious.

If this were the space Id give you 2 kudos!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

I am shocked and appalled that the once high-brow Woke Up Thirsty blog has lowered its standards and integrity to permit the changing of a rating!

Good to see you keeping it up though and I will have to check these guys out.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Starr said...

I forced you to change it to an A. You can blame it on me. I will account for it. My fault!

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home