Tuesday, October 17, 2006


Album Review

Cold War Kids
Robbers and Cowards
B+

The first time I heard Cold War Kids was live, and they left me covered with goose bumps. During the show vocalist Matt Aveiro unleashed his soaring pipes with his face red, eyes shut tight, and his Carotid artery bulging. It almost looked painful, like he was singing for his soul. The modest crowd stood frozen with awe at this musical ambush, or maybe it was just me.
Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy this album. Throughout Robbers and Cowards, Bluesy rock rhythms strut, lazy bass lines coast, guitars twitch, cymbals crash, and egg shakers, well.... shake. At first I didn't take to the slower, folksy songs like "Pregnant" or "God Make Up Your Mind," but after a few spins, I was converted.
"We Used to Vacation" is flawless, I dare you to listen to this track more than three times and not sing along, although I'm still debating if I prefer the earlier, rougher-edged version. "Hang Me Up To Dry" and "Hospital Beds" are phenomenal, radio ready, soul-soaked Rock anthems. His lyrics sometimes stumble into cliché territory, but the music itself stumbles along like a drunken uncle: either bursting with energy and reckless enthusiasm or awkwardly slouched over in the corner of the sofa.
At times the melodies stutter and instruments diverge along their own tangents, only to be pulled together by Aveiro's voice that boils over with honesty, soul, and pain. I could see why many find his high-pitched wail unnerving, (it dips and rises more often than Nasdaq) but I like it, so there.
When I listen to CWK, (as the cool kids call them) I think of dingy urban sidewalks, road trips, and sticky bar floors. I think of bitterly cold breezes, overcast skies, and pawnshops. I think of Blues, beer bottles, and park benches. I think of winter skylines, overflowing ashtrays, and long walks home. I think of unrealized love, imperfect relationships, and determined wanderers. I think, damn, this is good music.

Listen to:
"We Used to Vacation"
"Hang Me Up to Dry"


Check their myspace here.
Website is here, no wait, I mean here.


2 Comments:

Blogger freddybizniss said...

One time I was on a park bench drinking beer, and woke up blue in the face. If only I had CWK, then my summer night before 11th grade at the local park would have been perfect!

Ill be checking this out, sounds moderately appealing.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Starr said...

CWK are amazing. I knew when I saw them live, even though I knew nohting about them, that they were onto something!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home